Singapore said on Tuesday that it had arrested a Bangladeshi national who was plotting to commit attacks against Hindus in the country and also planned to fight in Kashmir. The Interior Ministry said that 37 suspects were investigated under security measures following the attack in France, which was followed by his arrest. The ministry said the Bangladeshi national has been identified as a 26-year-old Faisal. He was arrested under the Internal Security Act (ISA). His arrest comes after an investigation into terrorism-related activities.
According to the statement 37 suspects investigated, 14 are Singaporean nationals and 23 foreigners. Foreigners are mostly Bangladeshis. Channel News Asia quoted a statement issued by the Interior Ministry as saying that Faisal has bought a knife that he claims will attack Hindus in Bangladesh with that knife and wants to fight against “alleged enemies of Islam” in Kashmir. The ministry said that an initial investigation by the Department of Internal Security (ISD) revealed that Faisal is radical and intends to commit violence through weapons in support of his “religion.”
Faisal has been working as a construction worker in Singapore since 2017. He was radicalised by isis online propaganda in 2018. He has been arrested on November 2. “He was attracted to ISIS’ goal of establishing islamic khalifa rule in Syria and wants to go there to fight against the Syrian government with ISIS,” the statement said. He believes that if he dies fighting, he will be martyred.” In mid-2019, Faisal Hayat Tahrir became loyal to Al Sham (HTS). “It also made donations to the Syrian-based organisation and believed that its donations would benefit HTS in Syria,” the statement said, adding, “Faisal shares propaganda promoting violence on social media accounts created by fake names.” In addition to ISIS and HTS, Faisal said, “Al Qaeda, besides ISIS and HTS, said. , has also expressed support for terror organizations like Al Shabaab. The ministry said it is one of 37 people but that it is not linked to the events that took place in France. There is no indication that any of the 37 people who went through the investigation were planning to attack or perform in Singapore, the statement said.
The ministry said anti-terrorism investigations were conducted on suspected activities of 37 people after inflammatory posts were posted on social media following the attack in France. The statement said that 14 out of 37 are Singaporean nationals and 23 are foreigners, most of whom are Bangladeshis. The ministry said 16 of the 23 foreigners have been repatriated, 15 of whom were Bangladeshis and one Malaysian. Seven foreigners are still being investigated.
The ministry also said that many countries created an atmosphere against France which promoted online terrorism. Meanwhile, at the 16th Religious Rehabilitation Group Seminar held at Khadija Mosque, Law and Home Minister K. Sheshanmugam said that the form and nature of terrorism has changed since last year. He said the Islamic State has lost most of its territory and its leaders have been killed. The minister said that his propaganda, which incites and radicals for attacks, continues around the world, including Southeast Asia.